Blog Index
The journal that this archive was targeting has been deleted. Please update your configuration.
Navigation

History

  • The Founding of Darien Scouting

    In 1909 a number of boys' camping groups were developing in the U.S., notably ones under Daniel C. Beard and Earnest Thomas Seton in Cos Cob. During that time, Chicago publisher William D. Boyce was so impressed by Robert Baden Powell's Boy Scouts when he traveled to England, that he applied for an American charter upon his return. Boy Scouts of America was officially born on February 8th 1910, and the movement spread rapidly. In 1926 Andrew Shaw, who later became Darien's First Selectman, donated land to build a Darien Scout Cabin. The one-room building, with a fireplace at the north end and an outhouse nearby, was financed by a town-wide fundraiser with sizable donations from some of Darien's leading citizens. The cabin was presided over by John Sherman Hoyt.

  • Original Cabin, Charters & Early Photos

    The original cabin was built in 1926 on land donated by Andrew Shaw, and later dedicated to his memory. It was financed by a town-wide fund drive with sizable donations from some of Darien's leading citizens. They raised $5,000 and local contractors and volunteers, including Scouts and their fathers, built the Cabin. It was dedicated on November 27, 1926 with an impressive program preceded by a parade of Scouts from Darien and surrounding towns. It was a one-room building with a large fireplace at the north end of the hall and the only facilty was an outhouse behind the building. In 1936 and 1939, additions including a second floor, kitchen, bathroom and heating plant were build onto the cabin to accommodate the burgeoning local Scouting program. 

  • 1998 Cabin Demolition

    The original Cabin, next to Stony Brook River and abutting wetlands was never built on a proper foundation. Over the years, flooding caused serious structural problems for the building. Along with 70 years of intensive activity, the building became in desperate need of repair. In 1998 it was determined that renovating the existing building would be more costly than rebuilding it altogether, so the Trustees and the Darien Boy Scouts decided to rebuild, and the original cabin was torn down in 1998.

  • New Cabin- 1998

    Architect and Eagle Scout, Neil Hauck designed and presented plans for the new cabin. Mr. Hauck designed the plans gratis for the Trust.  The appearance was intended to be similar to the old cabin, a reinforced foundation with a higher height was planned to prevent flooding, care to preserve the wooded and park-like appearance of the property was taken, and an expanded space including a large assembly hall with stage, meeting areas, offices, kitchen, bathrooms and mechanicals was achieved. Applications and variances were enthusiastically approved by the Zoning Board of Appeal, Environmental Protection Commission, Planning and Zoning, and the Architecture Review Board. It was funded by many generous donors and several fundraising events and construction began. The new Cabin was dedicated on November 20, 1999.

  • 100 Years of Scouting in America

    February 8th 2010 marked the 100th anniversary of Boy Scouts of America. Many celebrations were held throughout the counrty and many right here in Darien.